[FoRK] Welcome to the American Totality. You've been warned.

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Mon Feb 4 09:17:51 PST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Lawnun wrote:

>> Jeff: As far as your original statement re: smoking -- I don't
>> think it
> follows.  As Stephen said, regulation of smoking in food/business
> establishments regulates a public health concern that impacts
> everyone --
> both smokers and non-smokers alike.

It absolutely follows;  if you make the "public health concern"
argument, you simply cannot ignore the facts:  that HEART DISEASE is
a far graver risk than lung cancer;  that heart disease is to a large
degree influenced by diet;  and that the costs of heart disease are
distributed among all of us to the extent that any health care is
publicly subsidized.  Discouraging bad dietary practices among those
who obviously already have a problem is (so the theory goes) a
reasonable way to regulate public behavior and lower the associated
public health care and related costs.

The *very same* logic that justifies prohibition of smoking supports
this sort of thing.  And my argument is supported by the fact that I
predicted THIS VERY THING many times over the years in discussing
smoking prohibition.  If the theory is predictive, it must have some
validity... :-P ;-)

> Appropos of nothing -- I'm always blown away with arguments made
> from the
> staunch personal liberties camp re: the smoking ban.  Do the folks who
> viscerally object to smoking regulation in restaurants also feel
> that state
> regulation of drunken driving is also abhorrent ?

For my part, yes --- I do to some degree find drunk driving
regulations abhorrent.

OTOH, I'm broadly in favor of FAR STIFFER penalties for those who
choose to drive drunk and in the process cause damage or death to
other persons and their property.  I would even support the death
penalty in the case of a repeat offender who severely injures or
kills someone in the process of driving drunk.  I.e., it's not the
drunk driving that's the problem per se, its the problems that drunk
driving CAUSES.  Align the law with the actual problem.

$0.02,

jb