[FoRK] Walking While Working

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Mon Feb 4 10:01:56 PST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 12:47 PM, Jeffrey Kay <jeff at jeffreykay.com> wrote:
> Thought y'all might find this interesting - I've become a "work walker" - a
> treadmill instead of a desk chair.  I seem to recall that someone on this
> list did something like this a few years ago with a weight bench or an
> exercise cycle.  The concept is based on work done by James Levine
> [http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/research/Staff/levine_ja.cfm] at the Mayo
> clinic.  Click through to read about NEAT
> [http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/research/levine_lab].

I haven't quite brought myself to do that, but I did purchase a
stationary recumbent bike, and I now read blogs only while on the bike
(ffox is configured to block *blog*, etc., after 9am). I can't say it
is a huge step towards health, but 45-75 minutes on the bike every
morning definitely has made me feel better, and lets me read a huge
flood of bloggy bits while still keeping the rest of the day mostly
defragmented. Highly recommended if you're not quite ready to commit
yourself to walking all day long :)

Luis