[FoRK] Walking While Working

Jeffrey Kay <jeff at jeffreykay.com> on Mon Feb 4 10:23:27 PST 2008

I find that I don't jerk around that much.  It's really all about finding
the right speed.  I'm still experimenting with it, ranging from 0.7 mph to 1
mph.  My typing is actually very smooth while walking.  In fact, it's easily
as smooth as when I'm sitting at my desk.  I did find that I sort of rocked
back and forth while when I first got on it, but once I realized I was doing
that, I stopped and everything just sort of "clicked".

Right now I'm typing this while walking 1 mph and haven't really had any
more difficulty typing than I would if I were seated.

-- jeff | jeff at jeffreykay.com | www.jeffreykay.com (blog) |
photos.jeffreykay.com (photos)

-----Original Message-----
From: fork-bounces at xent.com [mailto:fork-bounces at xent.com] On Behalf Of B.K.
DeLong
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 9:59 AM
To: Friends of Rohit Khare
Subject: Re: [FoRK] Walking While Working

Fascinating. How do you isolate your torso enough to be able to keep
walking and not have to hesitate or jerkily type?

On Feb 4, 2008 12:47 PM, Jeffrey Kay <jeff at jeffreykay.com> wrote:
> Thought y'all might find this interesting - I've become a "work walker" -
> treadmill instead of a desk chair.  I seem to recall that someone on this
> list did something like this a few years ago with a weight bench or an
> exercise cycle.  The concept is based on work done by James Levine
> [http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/research/Staff/levine_ja.cfm] at the
Mayo
> clinic.  Click through to read about NEAT
> [http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/research/levine_lab].
>
> Pictures posted on my blog at www.jeffreykay.com.
>
> -- jeff | jeff at jeffreykay.com | www.jeffreykay.com (blog) |
> photos.jeffreykay.com (photos)

B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org                    Son.
http://www.ianetsec.com                    Work.
http://www.bostonredcross.org             Volunteer.
http://www.carolingia.eastkingdom.org   Service.
http://bkdelong.livejournal.com             Play.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org