[FoRK] Welcome to the American Totality. You've been warned.

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> on Mon Feb 4 11:46:53 PST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 9:17 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Lawnun wrote:
>
>>> Jeff: As far as your original statement re: smoking -- I don't
>>> think it
>> follows.  As Stephen said, regulation of smoking in food/business
>> establishments regulates a public health concern that impacts
>> everyone --
>> both smokers and non-smokers alike.

Public health is a big slice of bullshit served up to the American
people.  If I need a nanny I'll hire one.

>> Appropos of nothing -- I'm always blown away with arguments made
>> from the
>> staunch personal liberties camp re: the smoking ban.  Do the folks
>> who
>> viscerally object to smoking regulation in restaurants also feel
>> that state
>> regulation of drunken driving is also abhorrent ?
>
> For my part, yes --- I do to some degree find drunk driving
> regulations abhorrent.

Same here.  If a jackass falls asleep at the wheel because he's tired
why is he somehow superior to someone who does it because he's tired?
And If someone is driving safely, why should it be legal to set up a
drag net and make everyone blow in a tube to see if their breathe
smells like liquor.  Target things that are _WRONG_.  Don't target
things that sometime lead to wrong.