[FoRK] Welcome to the American Totality. You've been warned.

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Mon Feb 4 16:53:50 PST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 7:42 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>
> > On Feb 4, 2008 6:12 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
> >  I.e., it's
> >> the argument that got folks who don't go to bars and who otherwise
> >> don't give a damn about the issue to actually cast a ballot in favor
> >> of prohibition.
> >
> > Or, you know, everyone who goes to fucking restaurants (that is, all
> > of us) have been sick of it for years,
>
> Oh, you know, that's a fucking load of horseshit because restaurants
> EVERYWHERE have at least had smoking and non-smoking sections since,
> oh I dunno, the dawn of history, and most have been completely non-
> smoking in most areas for most of the adult lifetimes of most of the
> people on this list.

Those of us who can still smell and taste will tell you that those
aren't good enough.

And I reject the linkage that this is the edge of some horrible,
slippery slope. Yes, some people who are anti-smoking-in-restaurants
are anti-all-smoking. But some people who are anti-public-smoking are
pro-private-consuming-whatever-the-fuck-you-want, and some people who
are pro-smoking-in-restaurants are also
pro-cutting-down-all-the-forests-and-keeping-those-Negroes-out-of-my-bar.
You don't see me tarring you with those brushes, do you?

Luis