[FoRK] "Lifetime healthcare costs highest for thin"

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Tue Feb 5 11:11:24 PST 2008

I wonder how this compares to other health systems and populations.
Quality of life would be important to add in also.

I'm surprised by this:
> On average, healthy people lived 84 years. Smokers lived about 77
> years, and obese people lived about 80 years.
It seems like there is more disparity.  I wonder if non-illness deaths
have been removed?
A link to the study in the original article would have been nice.

sdw

Russell Turpin wrote:
> Given the dual burdens of social security and medicare, the frugal
> government should encourage cigarettes and junk food. Right?
>
> http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/feb/05/na-lifetime-health-care-costs-highest-for-thin/?news-nationworld

Stephen D. Williams 703-371-9362C 703-995-0407Fax 94043 AIM: sdw