[FoRK] "Lifetime healthcare costs highest for thin"

J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> on Tue Feb 5 11:46:41 PST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> I'm surprised by this:
>> On average, healthy people lived 84 years. Smokers lived about 77
>> years, and obese people lived about 80 years.
> It seems like there is more disparity.  I wonder if non-illness
> deaths have been removed?

That would appear to be the case.  Relative life expectancies shift a
lot once you remove accidental death and similar factors.  Non-illness
death rates varies widely even within the industrialized world, the US
being a more extreme example of a heavy downward bias on life
expectancy due to non-illness factors (e.g. road accidents).

J. Andrew Rogers