[FoRK] Welcome to the American Totality. You've been warned.

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Tue Feb 5 15:25:40 PST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 9:16 PM, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:

> On 4-Feb-08, at 4:42 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>
>>> In the privacy of your own airspace, by all means, smoke, drink, or
>>> inject whatever the hell you want.
>>
>> What about my buddy Jimmy's right to smoke in the BAR HE OWNS,
>> and / or let his guests do the same?
>
> Frankly, fuck Jimmy.  What about Jimmy's employees who'll suffer
> from all the symptoms of smoking without ever having smoked?

They smoke.  And if they don't, it's their call to work there.

> What about customers who want to enjoy Jimmy's ambience without
> having to use night vision goggles to see the other patrons?

Fuck 'em, they aren't regulars.

>>> Honestly, your protestations against logic are embarrassingly
>>> analogous to (Ernie's) Christian protestations in the face of
>>> (Bonesian) Darwinian logic.  God help the person who calls YOUR
>>> crown jewels into question, hein?

My "crown jewels" consist of a simple proposition:  that we're all
grown-ups.  From that, a few things follow.  Most importantly, that
we are all allowed to make our own decisions;  that we are
responsible for the consequences of our decisions;  and that our
rights to do whatever we want don't trump anybody else's reasonable
expectation of the same.

The problem is that prohibitionists have an unreasonable
expectation:  they expect the Smoker's Club to admit them
(reasonable) and furthermore to subsequently conform to their own non-
smoking aesthetic (unreasonable.)

That's the crux of it.  Forget restaurants, or bars, or whatever.
Does Jimmy have the right, let's say, to have a PRIVATE CLUB of folks
that gathers in his living room periodically to smoke?  If yes, then
why can't that same group get together downstairs in the bar?  And if
they can, then what the hell is the prohibition all about anyway?

This is related to the problems with all forms of PC.

jb