[FoRK] Effing useless Congress

Win Treese <treese at acm.org> on Tue Feb 5 18:32:45 PST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Owen Byrne wrote:

> Actually I was reading an argument this weekend in favor of the
> government getting involved with the NFL's "SpyGate" - the argument
> is that sports are so heavily subsidized that the government is a
> stakeholder and should oversee the organizations involved.
> They're just monitoring their investment.

A while back when I was getting annoyed about Congress having hearings
on the baseball steroids, it occurred to me that Congress was just
asking
the wrong questions. They shouldn't bother with who was taking what.
Rather, they should just haul them in and ask, "You guys are pretty
screwed up, and we're quite disappointed. Tell me why we shouldn't
revoke the MLB antitrust exemption right now?"

  - Win