[FoRK] Welcome to the American Totality. You've been warned.

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Tue Feb 5 20:34:05 PST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 11:22 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Yea, that's what I meant.  I had only heard that term used for telecom
> "common carrier" / common carriage.  Good to know that it names the more
> general version of the concept / group of laws.
>
> I'd like to know if there are common carriage related laws that deal
> with inter-player risk.

They are typically non-discrimination rules (i.e., you have to accept
anyone into your hotel, or you have to charge everyone the same for
your ferry), which is why you're familiar with them in the telecom
framework. To be fair, in the US they are mostly dead; the
non-discrimination purposes in the real world are met through other
legal frameworks.

Luis