[FoRK] Welcome to the American Totality. You've been warned.

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Wed Feb 6 11:10:18 PST 2008

Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> Or a good model for selling legalized drugs of all kinds.  Things that
> are legal with no consistent redeeming value.
> I suppose you could argue that that's not true in the general case:
> Zoloft for instance could probably be over the counter.  I think I
> read recently that Extasy is being used by psychiatrists, meaning
> there is a case for it to be OTC.
>
> One big part of the nanny state is the assumption that only in very
> restrictive, and somewhat random cases are you intelligent enough to
> self medicate.  Various OTC cold medicines totally space me out, but
> none of the prescriptions I have taken do.  Not even high-end
> painkillers space me out in any significant way.  The logic behind the
> rules and categories seems tortured.
Is this the counterexample?
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/06/heath.ledger/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
""Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the
combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam,
alprazolam, and doxylamine," the office said in a short statement."

I don't think so.  Any idiot should know not to combine 6 narcotics.
And if you do, you'd better have a Holter monitor tied to a siren and a
remote alarm to warn of vitals falling too low.