[FoRK] Welcome to the American Totality. You've been warned.

Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> on Wed Feb 6 15:39:38 PST 2008

On 6-Feb-08, at 9:40 AM, Lawnun wrote:

> AS to the second (the "Fight Club" scenario) I don't see a problem. I
> actually think if two guys want to go pummel the shit out of one
> another for
> fun and profit, even if it leads to the death of one or both, its a
> free
> country.  Assuming no coercion, and adequate knowledge and consent,
> I'm all
> over that.

In these scenarios we as a society generally find ourselves having to
impose the brute force rote of absolute prohibitionist law simply
because of the actions of lawyers further down the food chain who, on
behalf of their clients, will ask:  "was consent informed?" or "what
is the definition of coercion?" etc. (ad nauseam).  In essence we hire
lawyers to create laws in order to inhibit the hiring of lawyers to
challenge them.  It's a self-perpetuating system, really.

To wit, the much-ballyhooed Bertuzzi-Moore incident:

	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY

... which has led to lawsuits, criminal investigations, etc. lasting
more than 3 years.

	http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/bertuzzi/

Presumably, there is a loophole in players' contracts which is
allowing this kind of BS to persist.

Conclusion:  should have gone to law school, after all.  Damn you,
Interweb!

-Ian.

PS - yes I think Bertuzzi is despicable.  But should he go to jail?
no way.