[FoRK] Arc, arc, arc.

rst at ai.mit.edu <rst at ai.mit.edu> on Thu Feb 7 09:20:21 PST 2008

Jeff Bone writes:

 > This proves the point I was making about the relatively unimpressive
 > amount of work that goes into implementing e.g. an Arc.  Less than a
 > week out and somebody's gone and done an alternate implementation of
 > most of it --- enough to bootstrap, i.e. run arc.arc --- in Javascript.
 >
 >    http://halogen.note.amherst.edu/~jdtang/arclite/

Or, you could look at the prior work on Seaside, a continuation-based
Smalltalk web framework that supports pretty much Graham's example in
even less code:

  http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/take-the-arc-challenge

(To get around Graham's goalpost-shifting, I hereby declare that this
is code written in the Seaside *language*, which bears a remarkable
and striking, but entirely coincidental, resemblance to what you'd get
from taking an ordinary Smalltalk implementation, and adding the
Seaside library.)

BTW, has Graham mentioned Seaside in any of his public stuff?  In what
I've read, he hasn't ever mentioned it, which is odd, given how much
of it he seems to be reinventing, slowly, with Arc...

rst