[FoRK] Arc, arc, arc.

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Feb 7 11:37:42 PST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 11:20 AM, rst at ai.mit.edu wrote:

> Jeff Bone writes:
>>
>> This proves the point I was making about the relatively unimpressive
>> amount of work that goes into implementing e.g. an Arc.  Less than a
>> week out and somebody's gone and done an alternate implementation of
>> most of it --- enough to bootstrap, i.e. run arc.arc --- in
>> Javascript.
>>
>>    http://halogen.note.amherst.edu/~jdtang/arclite/
>
> Or, you could look at the prior work on Seaside, a continuation-based
> Smalltalk web framework that supports pretty much Graham's example in
> even less code:

Nb., apples / oranges:

The Seaside example is an *answer to the Arc challenge.*

The Javascript thing is an *entire Arc interpreter implementation.*

But you couldn't run Paul Graham's Arc solution to the Arc Challenge
on the Javascript Arc interpreter because it doesn't have the
underlying Scheme web app server framework / runtime.  My point:
even Paul's attempt to definitively demonstrate the power of Arc has
everything to do with the power of the underlying Scheme distribution
and little to do with any syntactic compression in Arc itself.

jb