[FoRK] Return to an old thread: Digital camera-based bookscanner

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Sun Feb 10 10:25:26 PST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 1:11 PM, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Google Ads showed me this one:
>
> http://booksnap.atiz.com/
>
> Software + cradle + cameras = fast book scanner (500-1000 pages per
> hour claimed).
>
> I did some math -- it's a feasible approach since your typical US
> letter page has about 4M pixels at 200 dpi resolution; given that
> consumer cameras (< $150)  are now shipping with 7 megapixel sensors,
> there are definitely enough bits.
>
> The only part that scares me is that they ask you to "request a quote"
> instead of listing a price.  My guess is that it's probably in the
> vicinity of a kilobuck (+/- 50%), but that's just based on the cost of
> two good digital cameras and a decent copy stand with lights.
>
> Not as fast as a good automatic flat bed scanner, but less destructive.
>
> There's custom software to correct the images; a version of the
> software is also available standalone for cleaning up snapshots of
> whiteboards, etc.

By the way, after discussion with my copyright prof, I was wrong about
the application of Sony to this. You *are* probably in the clear for
personal use; redistribution is still iffy at best and highly
dependent on the factual details.

(IANAL, this is not legal advice. Remember that the media industry
can, do, and will sue people and ruin their lives, even when the
grounds for doing so are at best specious.)

Luis