[FoRK] Return to an old thread: Digital camera-based bookscanner

B.K. DeLong <bkdelong at pobox.com> on Sun Feb 10 10:28:17 PST 2008

Did you by chance read this article today as well?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/business/10metrics.html

On Feb 10, 2008 1:11 PM, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Google Ads showed me this one:
>
> http://booksnap.atiz.com/
>
> Software + cradle + cameras = fast book scanner (500-1000 pages per
> hour claimed).
>
> I did some math -- it's a feasible approach since your typical US
> letter page has about 4M pixels at 200 dpi resolution; given that
> consumer cameras (< $150)  are now shipping with 7 megapixel sensors,
> there are definitely enough bits.
>
> The only part that scares me is that they ask you to "request a quote"
> instead of listing a price.  My guess is that it's probably in the
> vicinity of a kilobuck (+/- 50%), but that's just based on the cost of
> two good digital cameras and a decent copy stand with lights.
>
> Not as fast as a good automatic flat bed scanner, but less destructive.
>
> There's custom software to correct the images; a version of the
> software is also available standalone for cleaning up snapshots of
> whiteboards, etc.
>
> Ken Meltsner

B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org                    Son.
http://www.ianetsec.com                    Work.
http://www.bostonredcross.org             Volunteer.
http://www.carolingia.eastkingdom.org   Service.
http://bkdelong.livejournal.com             Play.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org