[FoRK] Return to an old thread: Digital camera-based bookscanner

Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> on Sun Feb 10 13:02:40 PST 2008

Luis Villa wrote on 2/10/2008 12:48 PM:
> On Feb 10, 2008 3:41 PM, Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> wrote:
>
>>> The only part that scares me is that they ask you to "request a quote"
>>> instead of listing a price.
>> You realize they have to pay for those Google ads, which means you pay
>> for those Google ads. They have to look up the ad fees since the last
>> sucker^H^H^H^H^H^H customer requested. Anything that's in a Google ad is
>> 100% guaranteed to be much more then something not.
>
> Since this is of course true of all advertising, I assume you don't
> buy anything that is advertised?

If you're implying my house is full of inexpensive generic non-branded
items of high quality that met the feature set I wanted... yup!

Almost every product you can buy is made by one machine in one plant by
one company. The patent system almost assures that. Buy you can buy that
product at thousands or even hundreds of thousands of vendors, with or
without a brand label. Price is the only valid way to pick, and a Google
ad means they lose - a lot, they are expensive. No excuse to overpay
anymore, you can even use Google to find the ones that are cheapest :)

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/