[FoRK] l.py --- musing about lisp implementations

Kurt <kwilkin at gmail.com> on Mon Mar 3 04:46:04 PST 2008

Jeff Bone wrote:
> This came across progeddit today;  it's one of the most concise
> ground-up bare-bones Lisp implementations I've seen.  It demonstrates, I
> think, if in an indirect way, the triviality of implementing all the
> fundamentals of Lisp in very little code in any other higher-level
> language.

> If you want fundamental improvements
> in programming language expressivity and hence programmer productivity,
> you have to approach things from a fundamentally different model of
> computation.  Erlang (join calculus), Haskell and other typed functional
> languages (equational reduction), Prolog (logic and Horn clauses), APL
> (linear algebra), and so on do this.

Don't know who's reading what where any more - if this is Fork it must
be Tuesday - but in case you've not seen elsewhere, from
http://www.nabble.com/LFE---Lisp-Flavoured-Erlang-released-td15783283.html

"LFE - Lisp Flavoured Erlang released
have finally released LFE, Lisp Flavoured Erlang, which is a lisp syntax
front-end to the Erlang compiler. Code produced with it is compatible
with "normal" Erlang code. The is an LFE-mode for Emacs and the
lfe-mode.el file is include in the distribution. Most things seem to
work but some things have not been done yet:

- The interpreter does handle recursive letrecs, binaries, receive or try.
- There is no lisp shell.
- Documentation!

Yet. The system will be updated as new features are added. This is the
1st release so there is much left to do.

[...]

The system can be found in the "User Contributions" section at
trapexit.org, http://forum.trapexit.org/viewtopic.php?p=40268#40268."

Cheers, Kurt.