[FoRK] We Scream, We Swoon, We Generalize Horribly

Corinna Schultz <corinna.schultz at gmail.com> on Mon Mar 3 10:58:47 PST 2008

>the number of women in these fields will always lag behind the
number of men, for good reason.

and

>Then we could shriek
and swoon and gossip and read chick lit to our hearts' content and not mind
the fact that way down deep, we are . . . kind of dim.

Argh! This is awful!  I just picked out the two most egregious statements...

I'll simply point out that in general, men do (and like) just as much
stupid stuff as women do. For every chick-flick there's an action
movie. For every stupid TV show, there's a stupid sports program (or a
stupid sci-fi show). For every shriek or swoon, there's a "don't
confuse me with the facts".

Career success (and choice) has very little to do with IQ, overall,
and if men overrepresent the extremes, that doesn't say anything at
all about the vast middle.

And a personal note: my career has been hampered the most by the fact
that I'm married and I have kids. I still disproportionately care for
and worry about domestic things, even though my husband is the
stay-at-home parent. Go figure. Has nothing to do with IQ (his IQ is
probably 15-25 points higher than mine).