[FoRK] i8n question

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Tue Mar 4 17:50:14 PST 2008

True.  I think I may have mentioned before irritation with getting a
particular version of a web site while traveling in Europe.  I believe I
kept getting the French version of something major, including only
France-local information, when I wanted my "normal" US version of the
information.  I was using my normal, unmodified laptop and web browser.
They were keying what information was shown completely from my IP
address.  That's just wrong on so many levels...

sdw

Lucas Gonze wrote:
> Good stuff, Steve.  Thanks for taking the trouble.
>
> Any chance you know of communities focused on web
> internationalization?  There must be a gang somewhere which follows
> stuff like Accept-Language penetration data.
>
> I'm working on localizing http://mediaplayer.yahoo.com and finding it
> really challenging to do this well.  It's inspiring to get to work on
> such basic aspects of a web app.  On the other hand, it doesn't feel
> like web developers take this seriously.  Mainly apps are written for
> a single locality, with some nods to nearby localities thrown in.  For
> example, a site in German will have a version translated into English
> that you can get to by clicking on an American flag in the banner.
>
> My impression is that what's worldwide about the web is the protocols.
>  The content lives in separate pools depending on the language,
> culture, and ecommerce limitations.
>
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Steve Nordquist <saigua at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:49:55 -0600, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>  > Any localizations experts hereabouts?
>>  >
>>  > I need to figure out how common it is for users to set their language
>>  > preference in the browser, so that the Accept-Language request header
>>  > is accurate.  Can anybody suggest a resource or angle to get an
>>  > answer?
>>
>>  Hakon Lie answered that here ca. 2000, (less so W.R.T. Asia at the time; I
>>  think I saw a bit about that in interviews in Next Generation (now online
>>  only; and a subscription triweekly broadsheet promises such stuff) but you
>>  can probably find the answer from a structured query to the current Opera
>>  CTOs (probably in an Opera Community blog.  Amazon used to share such
>>  metrics; now I guess you'd ask LiveJournal (etc.; that, there's a chart
>>   from Le Monde last week (
>>  http://www.lemonde.fr/web/infog/0,47-0@2-651865,54-999097@51-999297,0.html
>>  ...ValleyWag?  I clicked Citez and it crashed Kestrel here...) to cover.)
>>  Oops, I'm told I live in Siberia for citing Livejournal instead of Orkut.
>>  Gotta go smoke an Elk now....
>>
>>  iirc Koreans and Denmarkers were solid on accurate Accept-Language, and
>>  it's likely in Southeast Asia (Australia less so) but Welsh-only speakers
>>  in Wales were only doing it 50% of the time and English-America and
>>  English were fighting like pantsuits and pantsuits with cuffs (so, 25% of
>>  people being fickle, often.)

Stephen D. Williams 703-371-9362C 703-995-0407Fax 94043 AIM: sdw