[FoRK] $100M for iPhone Developers

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Fri Mar 7 04:23:47 PST 2008

I agree that it is a vastly superior device but I guess I don't see it
as so superior that there is a multi-million dollar business hidden in
there.

Or to put it another way- are there even any KPCB-sized companies
whose software is OSX-only, much less iPhone only?

>  The whole distribution thing (App Store) is huge.

Why? No other platform has decided that's a good thing. We don't go to
Windows App Store or Linux App Store or Crackberry App Store, for good
reasons- people like to sell out of their own stores; they like to
have control over the sales experience; they don't want the platform
vendor to have veto power over what they sell, etc. From where I
stand, that looks like Apple replacing the overly controlling phone
companies with overly controlling Apple for no particularly good
reason except that they want a cut of the transaction.

Luis