[FoRK] $100M for iPhone Developers

Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> on Fri Mar 7 07:26:20 PST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
>  Why? No other platform has decided that's a good thing. ...  From where I
>  stand, that looks like Apple replacing the overly controlling phone
>  companies with overly controlling Apple for no particularly good
>  reason except that they want a cut of the transaction.

I don't know if the cut of the transaction is so important as top to
bottom control.  The store gives them the ability to choose which
software can exist on the phone, and this allows them to veto software
which threatens their perceived interests.  With the release of the
SDK anybody can now *write* software for the iPhone, but they can't
*distribute* it without Apple's permission.

Maybe they are protecting their ability to negotiate with phone
companies, which requires them to be able to promise that the
environment won't be the same free-for-all as the PC.  For example
preventing VoIP might well be explicitly called out in their AT&T
contract.