[FoRK] $100M for iPhone Developers

Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> on Fri Mar 7 12:51:07 PST 2008

The $100M would have to yield 500M or they wouldn't even be looking at
it, which is outright stupid to expect given that the apps community is
mostly open source fans.

Unless...

You realize that the desktop that once ruled is dead, and the laptop
rules now. Something very similar is happening in the laptop->iPhone
class devices space. I only really use my laptop as a remote desktop for
other machines (I have the luxury of bandwidth everywhere I go). Nothing
I cannot almost do on an iPhone, and once the apps store is open, all
the things the iPhone is missing will be available and free. Sure I'll
still need the laptop for trips, but not day to day.

Still, there isn't that much money in it, I don't know many Mac users
that have the needed IQ < 80 to fall for things like $5 ringtones, and
they won't pay a lot for iPhone apps when a free one is either already
there or on the way either.

Will be interesting to see how Apple handle donation-ware, which they do
not address (yet).

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/