[FoRK] More iPhone analysis

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sun Mar 9 11:55:58 PDT 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Tom Higgins wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 4:56 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>> practical choice;  I'm interesting in getting things done,
>
> You can carbon black test my jaws, its all ben said before...there
> thats my plagerism quota for the day fulfilled.
>
> Yes I get the rationalizations and all that , we have been over this a
> few times.  Im still just refusing to pull that particular wool over
> my eyes and call it macaroni.

I'm not suggesting you do.

> I know I know, drink the koolaid, its tasty sweet and is yummy yum
> yum:)- Its all good, lets just keep the same level of plain words on
> this threas as you demand from the other religious threads.
>
> Fair is  fair Dr Bone.

Absolutely, but this isn't a question of irrational belief, it's a
question of practical choice.  And it's not a question of universals,
or norms, or anything equivalent;  this is purely a matter of personal
requirements and weighted values.  YMMV indeed.

Fair is fair?  Apples are apples, and oranges are oranges, Tom.  It
seems to me that YOU are the one arguing religion whenever this topic
comes up.  OS X isn't a cult, it's a tool --- just like Linux.  There
may well be some brainwashed sheeple out there;  there certainly were
through most of Apple's adolescence.  There probably still are.  But
"some A" doesn't imply "all A."

I just wish you could recognize that, for some people, e.g. fucking
with a Xinerama config to get multi-monitor working (partially) IS NOT
WORTHWHILE.  Fucking with wi-fi configurations is NOT WORTHWHILE for
me.  And so on.  I have higher-value (for me) things to do with my
time, thank you, and given that observation the optimal choice *for
me* is Mac OS X, not desktop Linux.

This will perhaps change as Linux desktops get better;  indeed it's a
decision a revisit from time to time.  There's been tremendous
progress in the last 7 or so years, since I first switched over the OS
X.  But desktop Linux just isn't there yet --- FOR ME.  Perhaps
someday it will be, and the benefits of switching will outweigh the
costs.  Not yet, though.

It's got NOTHING to do with Kool-Aid a priori.  I wasn't proselytized
by Jobs, I wasn't effectively targeted my some Apple marketing
machine, I'm not a typical fanboy --- and neither are most of the
folks I know that use OS X.  Case in point:  my clusters aren't Macs,
they're commodity Linux boxes.

Dr. Whore. ;-)

jb