[FoRK] Air cars? Please?

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Wed Mar 26 19:05:25 PDT 2008

We're actually ahead of a lot of his notions, especially on the
computing / cell phone / software side.

A lot of the rest is doable except for either monetization issues or
more commonly the likely disruption of current monetization. Those local
minima are tough to bust out of. House construction, for instance, could
be simplified and greatly reduced in price except that high end builders
already have high end margins and would risk cannibalizing their market
before they'd get ahead.

Domes aren't doable yet, but automated high speed traffic is totally
within reach, except for those pesky manual drivers everywhere and poor
(i.e. often difficult) roads taking up all of the public space. My car,
which can be had starting at $25K, can already comfortably do 150mph,
it's just not legal to go even half that anywhere in the US outside a
race track. This is true even though many Interstates have zones that
could handle at least 120mph without significant increase in accidents.

I think there will be less and less need for innovations in travel and
commuting and more and more desire to be fuel and pollution efficient
which will mean that travel, beyond hyper-efficient transport of goods,
will be mainly for pleasure. In those cases, you don't really want to
completely remove the anachronistic status quo, at least not too much.
We're all going to be in HD virtual worlds soon where you'll see more
than you would if you were actually there, plus have all of your
resources available and be able to walk away to see loved ones in a few
minutes. Or I will anyway. ;-) Or I may mainly see the loved ones in
such a world. (Poor substitute, but better than not.)

sdw

Zee Roe wrote:
> What Will Life Be Like in the Year 2008? (Nov, 1968)
> <http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/03/24/what-will-life-be-like-in-the
> -year-2008/>
>

> http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/03/24/what-will-life-be-like-in-the-
> year-2008/
>

> 	40 Years in the Future
>
> 	By James R. Berry
>
> 	IT'S 8 a.m., Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2008, and you are headed for a
> business appointment 300 mi. away. You slide into your sleek,
> two-passenger air-cushion car, press a sequence of buttons and the
> national traffic computer notes your destination, figures out the
> current traffic situation and signals your car to slide out of the
> garage. Hands free, you sit back and begin to read the morning
> paper-which is flashed on a flat TV screen over the car's dashboard.
> Tapping a button changes the page.

Stephen D. Williams 703-371-9362C 703-995-0407Fax 94043 AIM: sdw