[FoRK] Air cars? Please?

Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> on Thu Mar 27 09:33:55 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:47:13PM -0500, Jeff Bone said:
> Ah, the perils of futurism...

For some reason I'm reminded of

http://yarchive.net/physics/effete.html

"When I look at the physiology research done in the 60's, it takes my
breath away.  The creativity of it!  The things they did! I find my
"new" ideas all the time in papers done in the 1960's, but they never
went anywhere (perfusion of organs with fluorocarbones to cool them, for
example). One guy (the same guy in fact), before heart lung machines,
repaired the hearts of babies by surgically cross-connecting them to the
circulation of adult humans, who volunteered in order to save a life.

Where has that kind of courage gone?  Where are the Yeagers and the
Goddards and the Microbe Hunters?  How come the heros of our movies are
no longer Micky Rooney or Spencer Tracy playing Thomas Edison, or Paul
Muni playing Erlich or Pasteur, instead Val Kilmer playing Jim Morrison
and Woody Harrelson playing Larry Flint? And movies whose heros are
lawyers.  Arggh.  I don't care if it is Tom Cruise or John Travolta.
And the rest of the movies seem to be re-creations of 60's TV shows."