[FoRK] Email vs. Wiki as collaborative media

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Fri Mar 28 10:08:05 PDT 2008

Wikis are part way there, RSS et al is part way there, IM/presence is
part of the puzzle, shared / screencast apps are part of it, RIA, 3D
desktop capabilities, mashups, etc. are becoming available, and email
still has it's use.
Convincing people that Wikis can replace email / Word and that
spreadsheets.google.com (and a free Wiki replacement better than TWiki
tables/formulas, anyone??) can replace email / Excel are good progress.
We still are a long way from a real solution, although it is starting to
become more obvious.

I have just enough coordination of various types in various venues with
different types of people, and access and views into much worse
problems, that I have been feeling the communication / knowledge
sharing/production/management problem acutely for years, as have many of
you I'm sure. I'm heavily dissatisfied, have been looking at everyone's
solutions, and that is leading to many solution ideas lately, finally.

sdw

Jeffrey Winter wrote:
>> This picture about sums it up:
>>

> Clever, but the diagram on the right doesn't show any mechanism for
> signalling that an update has been made.

Stephen D. Williams 703-371-9362C 703-995-0407Fax 94043 AIM: sdw