[FoRK] More JB Inflaming

Rob van Kranenburg <kranenbu at xs4all.nl> on Sat Mar 29 05:07:42 PDT 2008

Hi Owen and all,

Because I fear you're going to get a wrong idea on Holland as some kind
of liberal country, well it is not anymore. Here's the intro to an essay
I'm writing, hope it makes sense to post it here, otherwise delete quickly,

Breakdown Everyday People
Renegociating the balance between citizens, things and the state

Until we find a way to communicate effectively in these questions,
silence remains 'the option' which is really no option at all, except
insanity.
- brian

1. Introduction

In this essay I argue that unless we challenge the seamlessness of
ubiquitous computing slash ambient intelligence the dissolution of the
national states in Western Europe that will effectuate itself in the
coming decade will lead to major breakdown in everyday life and local
relations; civil war. In order to avoid this breakdown the only option
for technologies that outsource their interfaces and inner workings to
an invisible background is to turn noise, criticism and critical
feedback into more rules and control mechanisms that are hidden in the
infrastructures.

We are at a crossroads where artists and designers are not only
increasingly taking control over the very principles and materiality of
the 'networkwaves', but also are more determined to make local
applications for everyday use. The convergence of highend EU projects
like Haggle - opportunistic computing top down - and citizen designed
networks like Hivenetworks - opportunistic computing bottom up- is
becoming real in its technological and scaling aspects. According to
Alexei Blinov (Hivesnetwork.net) a project is to “liberate embedded
computers for artistic use”, we can now see the network as a content
structure Ie “no longer only a connectivity structure through which
access to the global internet is facilitated”.

Manifestly all around, the notion of breakdown is currently argued
economically through the financial US mortgage crash, and culturally
through the evergrowing tensions between muslim and non muslim
populations in European cities. This essay posits that underlying these
notions of breakdown is the unique and unforeseen global boost in
individual agency that the internet; and more specifically the web
(Mosaic, 1993) and mobile communications (Motorola DynaTAC, 1983) has
facilitated. In between the formal structures of policy and
institutational directive powers and the messyness of our everyday lives
filled with serendipity, coincidence, luck and trouble that is very much
ours – mine – we find a space growing with unstructured initiatives that
come and go rapidly, numerous online social networks that stretch out
into services in immediate practices (job searching through Linked in
for example), networks emerging through specific local events (is the
tree that Anne Frank looked at, really sick? ), political movements
build on company structures, not structured as a political party (LTd
Favorita, Rita Verdonk), medical tourism based on cheap flights and the
internet as an online pharmacy . Institutions as such are rapidly losing
their authority, witness the decision of the cycling teams to chose the
side of ASO – Tour de France- over the International Cycling Federation
UCI, as a group of concerned citizens near Schiphol Airport set up their
own sound sensor network (geluidsnet.nl), and for the first time in
parlementary history the editors of the Belgian newpapers can not find
one picture in which all new excellencies are looking straight at the
camera. They are either chatting to neighbours or gazing about.

As individuals explore the connectivity offered to them and the
opportunities to organize and structure their activities with both local
and global contacts, friends and acquiantances, they question the
quality and kind of solidarities that have been slowly and painstakingly
negociated by western democracies. In this essay I will argue that this
individual agency unchecked by a moral consciousness or a deep need to
declare economic, social and cultural solidarity will eventually break
with the hardcoded solidarities that are inscribed in the state; namely
paying taxes.

In the last century Europe has engendered and suffered from two major
world wars. From Robert Schuman’s first conceptual attempts in the early
fifties to the current debate on the Treaty of Lisbon, the European
states have outsourced, privatized and sold a large number of hard
possessions such as gold and land, have left an overwhelming majority of
their core tasks to the open market, and have by default given up their
national financial autonomies ( for the euro) as well as their their
ability to make legislation within their boundaries (over 80% of all law
and legislation in the Netherlands for example, or any EU country stems
from Brussels). European poets and politicians have always been aware of
the rhetorical importance that accompanies implementing ideas. Alphonse
de Lamartine’s keyword, of which he never tires, is peace:

“The people and the revolution are one and the same. When they entered
upon the revolution, the people brought with them their new wants of
labour, industry, instruction, agriculture, commerce, morality, welfare,
property, cheap living, navigation, and civilisation. All these are the
wants of peace. The people and peace are but one word.”

Now, in 2008 too the people bring with them their new wants of labour,
industry, instruction, agriculture, commerce, morality, welfare,
property, cheap living, navigation, and civilisation. Little has changed
in human needs in 300 years in living alone and living together in
families, communities, regions, nations and united nations. But the
keyword has. It is not peace that seems to drive us. We too have “Fifty
years of the freedom of thought, speech, and writing,” after WW II
engulfed Europe. But what has it produced? Have “books, journals, and
the internet accomplished that apostolic mission of European
intelligence, reason?” No. It has produced fear. Now this argument is
not new. Many people have claimed it and will remain to do so. The point
in this essay is not that there is too much surveillance, to much focus
on security, the point is that with technologies such as RFID, and
synthetic bio inspired intelligent information interfaces, and visions
of computing such as pervasive computing, ubicomp, disappearing
computer, things that think, ambient intelligence, digital territory, we
are entering a new world. Not ‘just’ a hybrid one, not one that we can
hope to deduct from what we know now of our analogue and our digital
connectivities, no a new territory. In this territory identies such as
we have will lose control of their own agency inspired contexts,
scenarios and planning. With such distributed technology such as RFID,
readers will be everywhere, reading out all the unique numbers in your
immediate body sphere (clothes, groceries, bags, relatives) from a range
of 3,3 meters in Europe and 9 in the Unites States. Data mining ensures
that unique numbers of goods can and will eventually be linked to our
identities. This then is the decisive moment of moving into the 21th
century; not the cameras as such, not the disciplining design that
scripts our bodily movements into even narrower circles and boundaries,
not the convergence of macro, meso and micro levels of technological
surveillance and control (from satellite, RFID to smart dust), but the
awakening of our environment as a personage, as a dramatis personae, and
a very smart one at that.

Antoio Gramsci had a word to express a situation in which the forces in
conflict balance each other in a catastrophic manner, Ceasarism:

"does not in all cases have the same historical significance . There can
be both progressive and reactionary forms of Ceasarism; the exact
significance of each form can, in the last analysis, be reconstructed
only through concrete history, and not by means of any sociological rule
of thumb. Ceasarism is progressive when its intervention helps the
progressive force to triumph, albeit with its victory tempered by
certain compromise and limitations. It is reactionary when its
intervention helps the reactionary force to triumph, in this case too
with certain compromises and limitations, which have however, a
different value, extent and significance than in the former."

It is inevitable that the state as a national entity will disappear. It
has made itself redundant in order to make way for a supranational
entity, Europe, but has not foreseen that individuals have gained an
individual agency that allows themselves to organize their everyday
activities themselves. Realizing it loses authority with every new
manifestation of semi organized networks,/ it resorts to
enduserdisciplining on a massive scale, thereby reassuring itself of
itself as state, as a particular historical form of organization./

As we shall see in the discussion on ambient intelligence, it is the
very nature of techné that demands that this form of organization should
endure, as by outsourcing their ability to master the hardware and the
infrastructure of their comfort technologies to ‘the environment’,
citizens who may be able to map their own street infrastructures, energy
supplies, pollution levels, cannot make these infrastructures, thus
setting forth and positioning the state as the provider of the stability
of ambient functionalies and performativity. Ambient Techné demands
stability. As the interfaces have disappeared, citizens must trust
whatever it is that is running in the background. This background is not
disinterested. It is an amalgam of industrial and state interests. It
favours a quiet, silent world. Even more, this frozen world is the sine
qua non of its other; the seemingly dynamic, playful world of locative
media and models where citizens can map, blog, and play their serious
games.

As democracy quietly slips into totalitarianism, forged by her own
dependence on ambient techné, individual citizens realize that old
comforting solidarities are being broken, and they are the first to
react. In the Netherlands they either leave the cities for the
countryside, or the leave the country altogether. More Dutch citizens
are leaving Holland, then Poles are leaving Poland. Emigration Monitor
2007 shows Holland topping the list of countries in Europe in which more
people leave then immigrate into. These isolated yet related events of
individual citizens will eventually only strengthen the last moments of
the state as, unsure about the underlying reasons, a real anti-movement
can not begin to articulate itself as a movement on a national level,
only as disappointed individuals. Resulting in the Ceasarist moment of
either facilitating the state in securing peace and institutional
performance through ever more technologies of control out of fear of
violence, the breakdown into gangs and city states, or attempting to
forge a renewed national solidarity among frustrated and culturally
divided citizens. In Supercapitalism (2007) Robert Reich argues that we
are all heading towards a Chinese authoritarian capitalism model if we
do not strengthen the state, but why should citizens finance their own
subjugation to a state that outsources its agency to a corporate logic,
that is in Reich’s own words ‘disinterested’?

The question then is if a third option. Is it possible to opt out of the
national boundaries of the state while still retaining an agency over
the infrastructures of technology? Is it possible to declare one’s own
solidarities with both local and global friends and situations? What
would a group look like that could build a transnational common story,
beyond national states, beyond religious beliefs, beyond cultural
dichotomies?

In chapter four the conditions for such a light community (term by Menno
Hurenkamp) will be sketched, in an analysis of a recent initiative,
bricolabs, which aims to become a global platform to investigate the new
loop of open content, software and hardware for generic infrastructures.
First I will investigate rfid and ambient intelligence in the framework
of techné. The second chapter explores our changing notions of ‘thing’.
Chapter three deals with the notion of generic infrastructures.

-

Greetings! Rob