[FoRK] At the risk of inflaming JB and others ...

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sat Mar 29 11:39:17 PDT 2008

On Mar 29, 2008, at 1:20 PM, James Tauber wrote:

> The entire section attributed to me below is a direct quote from the
> article I referenced. You asked for support that Hitchens was a
> neocon, I said he probably wasn't in name but that he agreed with
> them on foreign policy. You still expressed doubt. I quoted an
> article where he expresses his agreement both on Bosnia and
>
> Are you arguing with Hitchens, the article or me?

In a sense, Hitchens, but more generally with the prevailing
understanding of who the neo-cons actually are and what they want.
Hitchens may agree with them in some specifics, but I would argue that
he doesn't in fact share their ultimate goal, which is a global
American hegemony controlled behind the scenes by a closed, secretive
neo-con oligarchy.  To the extent that Hitchens thinks he agrees with
the neo-cons re: Bosnia, Iraq, or anywhere else, he fails to
understand their ultimate aim.  What he thinks of as goals and admires
and agrees with are merely tactical moves in a much larger and less
benign strategy that drives the neo-cons.

jb