[FoRK] Earth Hour

James Tauber <jtauber at jtauber.com> on Sat Mar 29 13:33:12 PDT 2008

 From an economist acquaintance of mine in Australia:

http://andrewleigh.com/?p=1842

Starry Starry Night

by Andrew Leigh
8pm last night featured a conversation in our house that may have
resonated elsewhere:

	Spouse: OK, 8pm, time to turn off the lights and put on candles.

	Me: But we have energy-saving bulbs, so surely the candles produce
more carbon than the electricity used to power our light globes?

	Spouse: But it’s about making a statement.

	Me: What kind of a statement is it if you increase your carbon use?

	Spouse: Look at our street - everyone else is doing it.

	Me: Shall we turn off our fridge too?

	Spouse: Just light the candles.