[FoRK] Earth Hour

B.K. DeLong <bkdelong at pobox.com> on Sat Mar 29 13:53:39 PDT 2008

I do wonder what will happen to the grid when everyone's heat and
refrigerators kick back online. I'm toying with just shutting off the main
to my whole house and using battery-powered LED booklights to read.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 4:33 PM, James Tauber <jtauber at jtauber.com> wrote:

>  From an economist acquaintance of mine in Australia:
>
> http://andrewleigh.com/?p=1842
>
> Starry Starry Night
>
> by Andrew Leigh
> 8pm last night featured a conversation in our house that may have
> resonated elsewhere:
>
>        Spouse: OK, 8pm, time to turn off the lights and put on candles.
>
>        Me: But we have energy-saving bulbs, so surely the candles produce
> more carbon than the electricity used to power our light globes?
>
>        Spouse: But it's about making a statement.
>
>        Me: What kind of a statement is it if you increase your carbon use?
>
>        Spouse: Look at our street - everyone else is doing it.
>
>        Me: Shall we turn off our fridge too?
>
>        Spouse: Just light the candles.

B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org Son.
http://www.ianetsec.com Work.
http://www.bostonredcross.org Volunteer.
http://www.carolingia.eastkingdom.org Service.
http://bkdelong.livejournal.com Play.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5 A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org