[FoRK] At the risk of inflaming JB and others ...

James Tauber <jtauber at jtauber.com> on Sat Mar 29 21:35:33 PDT 2008

On Mar 30, 2008, at 12:04 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2008, at 9:27 PM, James Tauber wrote:
>

>> On Mar 29, 2008, at 9:51 PM, il-young son wrote:
>>> New Deal liberalism
>>
>> Okay, I still can't work out what Americans mean by "liberalism".
>
> Neither can all but a few Americans.
>
> Its least-useful but most-common definition is the one promoted by
> the right-wing American propagandists:  anyone who disagrees with
> some limited (and vague, shifting) subset of the actions of the
> current administration specifically;  more generally those who
> criticize or oppose the Republican party.

Yes, that does seems to be how it's it used here. Which makes it
difficult for a classical liberal like myself to describe my persuasion.

In the UK and Australia there is a distinction between social
democrats and liberal democrats. I've seen the term "social liberal"
used for the former here in the US which, of course, sounds like an
oxymoron if one is used to distinguishing social vs liberal democrats.

Equally confusing is that the term "neoliberal" seems to mean
classical liberal, although it seems to be a term that is used by
opponents rather than supporters.

James