[FoRK] At the risk of inflaming JB and others ...

Kynan Shook <kshook at cae.wisc.edu> on Sun Mar 30 00:27:40 PDT 2008

Well, I didn't want to be the one to strike up the religious wars
again, but as long as it's going... ;-)

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/16993511.html

The short summary:
"Everest Metro Police Chief Dan Vergin says an 11-year-old girl died
after her parents prayed for healing rather than getting medical help
for a treatable form of diabetes."

There's some real choice quotes from the family, too:
"The police chief says the girl's parents, Dale and Leilani Neumann,
attributed the death to the fact they apparently didn't have enough
faith."

"Her mother, Leilani Neumann, says she never expected her daughter to
die. She says the family believes in the Bible and the Bible says
healing comes from God, but they are not crazy, religious people."

Now, I'm sure everybody will agree that this is an unfortunate event,
regardless of their personal views.  I'd guess that most would
probably think it was wrong of the parents to do this.  But when does
it become "okay" to teach that a deity will heal you, and you can
forgo science and medicine?  If one wasn't making such ridiculous
claims under the umbrella of religious beliefs, I'm sure all sorts of
charges would be leveled, especially if you had some sort of
leadership or authority, whether perceived or actual.  But a religious
leader (whether appointed, "chosen by god", self-appointed -
officially or not) can say anything, and nobody can second guess it.