[FoRK] Kdb+ now available free for non-commercial use (or something)

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed Apr 9 11:14:40 PDT 2008

Brief intro:  Kdb+ and q is an integrated database and programming
language developed by Arthur Whitney, a Ken Iverson protege.  It is in
a sense an APL derivative w/o all the funny characters, and oriented
towards large-scale data mining and statistical analysis, particularly
finance apps and other forms of time series wrangling.  It's blazingly
fast and extremely terse (perhaps, maybe even probably, too much so.)
It's got an interesting pedigree;  its immediate predecessor was
developed under contract and was a proprietary product for one of the
big banks (UBS or Morgan Stanley, can't recall off the top of my head)
and then after several years morphed into a commercial (and previously
VERY expensive) product.

If you're into esoteric languages, data wrangling, or doing things
"different" you might want to check out the license, download if
appropriate, and give it a whirl.  If nothing else it's an interesting
source of ideas.

http://www.kx.com/developers/software.php

--

jb