[FoRK] SOAP vs REST

silky <michaelslists at gmail.com> on Fri Apr 11 17:33:41 PDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
[snip]
>  XSLT seems great for what it covers, which is a lot.  It is not necessarily
> the only thing I would use for transforming data.  Does anyone, for
> instance, use it in application development just to transform data (memory
> to memory)?  Forgetting format of the data (which should be immaterial, as
> the API below illustrates) and the availability of a suitable library and
> language integration (fixable for most languages), would you rather write
> XSLT than Python/Java/JS/C++ to do the same things?  Sometimes yes,
> sometimes no probably, but not overwhelmingly yes I bet.

i dunno, xslt does have it's advantages i guess, but as far as working
with 'quickly' i think no. but given an xml doc if i need to transform
it to some format, i'll use xslt [as i'm now doing]. i could obviously
parse the file manually, but that'd just be annoying. also making
changes would be difficult [recompile] as opposed to xslt changes. at
least with xslt+xml you can change them both and not need a recompile.

--
/babblebot

http://lets.coozi.com.au/

There's not a problem I can't fix, because I can do it in the mix.