[FoRK] Kdb+ now available free for non-commercial use (or something)

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Fri Apr 11 19:40:41 PDT 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 2:38 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> <caveat> There's some more detailed explanation of this floating
> around the site, and I haven't looked in detail at this in a long
> time </caveat> but IIRC this was highly optimized for append-only
> event streams and uses a kind of column-oriented storage paradigm.
> It's much more like big array processing than it is like free-form
> relational databases.  I don't know for sure but I doubt seriously
> that there's any sort of ACID type guarantee, or even multi-user
> concurrency control of any sort.

Slight correction / addendum:  they do apparently offer a "SQL"
interface to kdb+, one that appears at a glance to be integrated into
the Q language in an almost LINQ-like way.  Thinking back to previous
things I've read about the system, I believe that SQL engine is
implemented in a surprisingly tiny amount of code.  I can't vouch for
how complete or standard it is, though.

Hoping to get some cycles to actually play with it this weekend, then
perhaps I'll have a more informed opinion.

jb