[FoRK] How Barack...

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Apr 17 13:56:02 PDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

> ...it'll take decades to undo the damage that the Roberts court has
> already done,
> much less what it will do with another conservative on it. Ditto the
> damage that torture and warmongering has done to our international
> reputation and our resultant inability to make the world a safer, more
> rational place. Ditto the damage rampant borrow-and-spend has done to
> our budget and economy. Ditto the damage to science done by an
> ignorant, aggressively anti-rational leadership. Etc. Etc.

I'm hip to all that, even if I don't agree about the time it takes to
restore national credibility.  (It's not taken that long
historically;  a change of administration has almost always been a
partial if not full reset with respect to lost credibility or damaged
relations.  OTOH, we are in uncharted territory here w/ the ill-will
Bush has created.  But I still believe a lot of that is associated
with the man and his cronies, and even if the GOP retains the White
House the subculture that currently occupies it will be routed out...)

> In a two party system you have to pick your poison; to say that taxes
> and economic policy are somehow particularly more important or more
> damaging in the long term than others is silly.

I am picking my poison, and I strongly disagree with your assertion of
the "silliness" of weighting tax and economic policies heavily.

Bear in mind while Obama is a wonderful anti-Bush --- HE'S NOT RUNNING
AGAINST BUSH.  If he were, ugh.

jb