[FoRK] Upmanship / Pandering

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Tue Apr 22 10:26:13 PDT 2008

On Apr 22, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2008, at 9:04 AM, geege schuman wrote:
>> I presume this is a pitch to the Jewish voter, but to mention
>> obliterating
>> Iran (retaliatory) seems a little extreme.  I guess Barack could
>> come back
>> with "vaporizing."
>
> Actually, Senator Obama's response was reasonable, and probably lost
> on the voters.
>
> > In response, Mr Obama said: "Using words like 'obliterate' - it
> doesn't actually produce good results, and so I'm not interested in
> sabre-rattling."

That sounds entirely reasonable...

Unless you understand that war is the continuation of politics by
other means (von Clausewitz) and that sabre-rattling has its place,
perhaps particularly when confronting medieval fanatics on a mission
from Allah.  Senator Obama's comments on this reinforce my belief that
this made severely misunderstands the nature of the threat posed to
Western modernity by the Islamo-fascists.

For all that pacifists would like it to be otherwise, the threat
nuclear annihilation has proven to be an effective deterrent against
aggression historically - even with far more powerful and
diplomatically sophisticated opponents such as the former Soviet.

We had an opportunity to win Iran memetically back before Bush's
colossal "Axis of Evil" gaffe.  For better or worse, they are now the
enemy, and it's a lot harder to turn enemies (particularly
irrationals) to friends or neutrals w/o the application of force than
it is to turn friends or neutrals into enemies.

I applaud Hillary for her clarity on this issue.

jb