[FoRK] How far will the dollar fall? (was: Demonizing the hedge funds...)

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> on Tue Apr 22 13:36:21 PDT 2008

On Apr 22, 2008, at 1:06 PM, geege schuman wrote:

> I'm just not getting it.  Is the group that profits from investments
> in
> Lockheed (for instance) the same group that pays for the treatment
> of a
> wounded soldier?  Is it proportional (progressive) across tax
> brackets or is
> the lower tax bracket actually paying more, net, during war time?

I'm not sure what your asking here...  Are you asking if say
Lockheed's gain (because they profit from war) is offset by their
increased tax burden?  Of course it's not- it's the same situation as
Shell's corporate gains because of rising Oil prices being offset by
higher fuel costs.  The companies are making more money because they
set at the intersection where cost/revenue is rising faster then their
own direct cost.  I suspect the same situation arises in all sorts of
places.

NOW, as to that creating a direct incentive to encourage war (i.e.
Lockheed cynically starts wars so they can profit from them...), I
personally don't buy it.  It's the sort of demonize your opponent,
straw man that makes for always makes for bad rhetoric.