[FoRK] How Barack lost my vote forever

Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> on Wed Apr 23 15:23:43 PDT 2008

sdw:
> Anyway, although I believe McCain is a lot more rational, I cannot vote
> for the party of theocrats.

The Republicans nominated McCain four years too late. They should
have nominated him in 2004, when it became clear that the
incumbent was a war criminal. In my view, THE chief issue in this
election is how to undo the damage of Bush's "unitary executive."
The damage to our Constitution. The damage government processes.
The damage to American reputation. The damage to the nature of
political discussion in this nation. I still find it surreal every
time I read a Republican defending torture. It is as if I stepped
from a sane and civilized nation, into some weird dystopic fiction.

Obama, unsurprisingly, is the only candidate who has said much about
this. He has said that one of his first three acts as president
would be to order a review of all Bush's executive orders, with the
goal of rescinding those that are Constitutionally questionable. He
has said his attorney general will investigate the conduct of the
Justice Department under Bush for criminal activity related to
torture policy. Taxes continually bump up and down. But what Bush
has done to our political process is unique in my lifetime, and it
needs to be unrolled as much as possible as soon as possible, before
its position in our political culture is fixed. That, truly, would be
Bush's worse, evil legacy. If Obama does those two things AND raises
my taxes by 5%, I'll still be pleased with my vote for him. Of course,
if he does the latter and not the former, I'll be pissed.