[FoRK] Political race codespeak

Gordon Mohr <gojomofork at xavvy.com> on Wed Apr 23 15:39:11 PDT 2008

I don't think there's any racial/coded dimension to Michelle Obama's
statement.

It's just a wink-wink joke -- "see how I managed to compliment myself in
a roundabout way?" -- ironic immodesty.

Of course, standards of 'beautiful' vary. To this beholder, Michelle
Obama is well above average in physical attractiveness -- so there's no
dissonance when she's labeled "beautiful", by herself or others.

I kind of wonder where your friend is from, that Michelle doesn't rate!

- Gordon