[FoRK] How Barack lost my vote forever

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Apr 24 06:25:32 PDT 2008

On Apr 23, 2008, at 4:24 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

> All of which he buckled under on. (The failure to stand up for himself
> But lets not pull the wool over our eyes- he may be decent and
> honorable, but on every significant issue of the past six years, when
> push came to shove, he buckled under and (typically) became an active
> cheerleader. 'He was a decent guy who was just following orders' only
> gets you so far when we're talking about a war that has cost
> trillions, killed more Americans than 9/11, killed (at a minimum) 80K
> Iraqis, alienated the entire world. And that's just the war; he's
> offered up only token resistance on the budget, the environment, etc.;
> actively campaigned for Bush in '04, etc. (Hillary did pretty much all
> these things except campaign for Bush in '04, which is part of why I'd
> have to consider voting for him.) A McCain presidency will be more
> reasonable than a Bush presidency, but not by much.

Disagreed.  ANY presidency w/o the theocrats and the neocons will be
far more reasonable than Bush II, and I don't see either group having
much affinity for McCain or vice-versa.    If the election is a
referendum on the war, then sure, Obama's your man.  OTOH, I think
you're confusing anti-Bush and anti-war sentiment ("campaigned for
Bush" --- well hell, what do you expect, that was part of the dues-
paying process) w/ real assessment of policy prospects.  But that's
your prerogative.

jb