[FoRK] How Barack lost my vote forever

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Thu Apr 24 06:39:32 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

>  On Apr 23, 2008, at 4:24 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>

> > All of which he buckled under on. (The failure to stand up for himself
> >
> > But lets not pull the wool over our eyes- he may be decent and
> > honorable, but on every significant issue of the past six years, when
> > push came to shove, he buckled under and (typically) became an active
> > cheerleader. 'He was a decent guy who was just following orders' only
> > gets you so far when we're talking about a war that has cost
> > trillions, killed more Americans than 9/11, killed (at a minimum) 80K
> > Iraqis, alienated the entire world. And that's just the war; he's
> > offered up only token resistance on the budget, the environment, etc.;
> > actively campaigned for Bush in '04, etc. (Hillary did pretty much all
> > these things except campaign for Bush in '04, which is part of why I'd
> > have to consider voting for him.) A McCain presidency will be more
> > reasonable than a Bush presidency, but not by much.
> >

>  Disagreed.  ANY presidency w/o the theocrats and the neocons will be far
> more reasonable than Bush II, and I don't see either group having much
> affinity for McCain or vice-versa.

He supported the neocon war and shows no signs of backing off on that;
if anything, he seems eager to expand it. He's adamantly anti-choice.
He's pledged to appoint 'strict constructionist' judges (hint: no
self-respecting legal academic, even conservatives, actually believe
there is such a thing as strict constructionism. That is pure code
word for 'will overturn Roe'.) He's *actively sought* the support of
such charming guys as
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/29/john-hagees-mccain-endor_n_89189.html

He may or may not be temperamentally aligned with the neo and
theocons. And he's not in bed with them the way, say, Romney, is. But
if not in bed he's engaged in heavy, heavy petting, and there is no
reason to believe he won't owe them big time if elected, and behave
appropriately.

Luis