[FoRK] How Barack lost my vote forever

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Apr 24 06:58:58 PDT 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Luis Villa wrote:\

> He supported the neocon war

Oh, come on, you're sounding a bit shrill --- if "supporting the war"
is the only fucking litmus test for a candidate, then your decision is
a fait accompli.  If what you're really saying here is that this
SHOULD be EVERYONE's ONLY litmus test, then make that case.
Otherwise, stop sounding like a fucking broken record, wouldja,
repeating that mantra over and over doesn't do anything to further
discredit McCain in the minds of people for whom the war is the only
issue;  and for everyone else, this means very little by itself, as
*many* on both sides of the aisle in the US as well as elsewhere
"supported" the war.  Nor is the repeated equation of "McCain == Bush"
convincing to anybody with more than a gnat's attention span, these
men *hate* each other.

Let's just be clear about this:  McCain "supporting" the Iraq war by
itself says virtually nothing about the man's politics.

As for "strict constructionism" --- I think you're listening to your
far-left law faculty a bit too much and / or have forgotten simple
first-order logic.  Implication doesn't necessarily run both ways.
While most legal minds who want to overturn Roe generally position
themselves as strict constructionists, that doesn't imply that most
strict constructionists want to overturn Roe.  I (IANAL, but am
willing to offer an opinion anyway) for example, prefer a more
constructionist attitude and think that many judges, particularly in
your fine state, have a dangerous tendency to legislate from the bench
--- but I sure as shit don't want to see Roe overturned.

jb