[FoRK] Obama disingenuousness

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Apr 24 09:31:24 PDT 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Rob Harley wrote:

> Sigh.  It's rather well-known that many, especially in private equity,
> do indeed pay the long-term capital gains rate on most of their US
> income.
> Google for Baucus-Grassley bill e.g.,

Sigh.  That's true, but (hopefully obviously) private equity is a very
different (long-term investment) beast from trading with any
frequency, which is characteristic of the folks we're talking about.
And gains from trades with tenor of less than a year plus a day are
taxed at the (max) short term cap gains rate with a few exceptions
(all short sales are taxed as short term gains regardless of tenor,
there is some special treatment for futures trading, and so on --- but
mostly exceptions in favor of the revenuers.)  For flow-through net
income deriving from this type of trading activity, which is the kind
of thing that these hedge funds likely derive the bulk of their
revenue from, that's the final word.  Period, end of discussion,
there's no controversy whatsoever.

Let me state my assertion very clearly, all FUD and links and
speculation aside.  I would put a fair bit of money behind the
following proposition:  among those 50 individuals in the list in
question and regarding the $29B they collectively made last year, I
would guess that not only are they among the highest individual dollar-
contributors to US Federal revenue collection in 2007, but they likely
also are among the highest payers percentage-wise in terms of
aggregate blended tax rate.  Demonizing these people is biting the
hand that feeds, or more precisely, biting the hand that's already
doing the most to offset the insane spending of our democratically-
elected officials.  Fuck, people, even BEBERG gets this.

Further, the idea that there are all these tremendous loopholes that
allow folks with the required degree of wealth to shelter their gains
from taxation and pay virtually no taxes is an idea with some popular
currency but is, frankly, an absolute myth.  There are some, but when
you have tremendous annual gains in wealth stemming from intrayear
economic activity of any kind, you're not getting away from paying top
dollar on those gains.  Short of expatriating yourself, your wealth,
and your income streams, and never setting foot back in the USA, you
aren't gettin' away from the Tax Man.  The best you can do --- or at
least the best I've been able to do --- is minimize the amount of
future taxation I can expect when taking those gains putting them to
work long-term by exposing them to long-term risk.  And by minimize I
mean "try to reduce the amount of the second or third or later round
of taxation to the long-term cap gains rate."

If you have data to the contrary, contact me off-list, I'm all ears.

jb