[FoRK] Limeys can't comprehend US tax law? ;-)

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Apr 24 16:04:04 PDT 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 5:26 PM, Rob Harley wrote:

> I'll stay on-list thanks and quote:
>
> "Partnership profits are taxed not to the partnership; instead
> partners are taxed
> on allocations of partnership income, and the nature of that income
> (capital or
> ordinary) "flows-through" to the partners.  As a result, the
> investment
> managers are able to have income for performance of services taxed
> at the 15%
> capital gains rate."

As somebody who just last week wrote an absolutely sickening check to
the IRS based on a K-1 encompassing precisely this sort if not order-
magnitude of economic activity, let me just say DUH.  The above is all
true up to the part that implies that all that flow-through is taxed
at the lower rate.  For long term gains, it's taxed at the long term
rate;  for short term gains, it's taxed at the maximum rate for your
tax bracket (assuming your ordinary income, if any, maxes out the
lower tiers.  Which in any case those guys divvying up that $29B pie,
did without question.)  And as previously stated, it's a near-
certainty that most of that income for most of those investment
managers --- the prophetic Buffet notwithstanding --- stemmed from
trades with tenor less than the magical threshold of 1 year and a
day.  You can argue about whether ANY of that should be taxed at the
lowest rate, but that's a policy argument;  as a matter of practice
very little of that flow-through for anybody in this type of situation
gets taxed at that preferential rate.

I very certainly understand and sympathize with Dr. Harley's and / or
the author of that quote's profound confusion here, as US tax code -
particularly as regards investment income of this sort - is a convoy
of dump trucks full of steaming donkey and elephant shit.  If you've
never looked at all the various forms that you've got to fill out
(never mind the poorly-written instructions you've got to read) to
deal with a K-1 based tax return of any complexity, let me just say
that it's an incredibly amusing experience even with the help of a
team of high-paid tax professionals billing hourly.  Makes you want to
take a fork and stick it straight into your fucking brain through your
eyeball.  My tax return was complicated before all this, but now it's
threatening to empirically test the Beckenstein Bound.

The most annoying thing about this is that when you point it out to
most folks they tend to say something like "good problem to have."

Grrrr....

jb