[FoRK] Re: Limeys can't comprehend US tax law? ;-)

bill stoddard <bill at wstoddard.com> on Fri Apr 25 12:17:53 PDT 2008

Kevin Elliott wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2008, at 5:03 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>> So this whole discussion is nothing but an anomaly wrapped in a lie,
>> dipped in confusion and misunderstanding and then sprinkled with
>> "screw the rich."
>
> See, the thing that pisses me off so much, is the rich are already
> getting screwed!
>
> The chart's really obvious?
> http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/341.html
>
> 1% of the country pays 33% of the bill
> 5% handles 1/2
> by the time you get to the to 50%, the bills all gone.
>
> JESUS!!!  How on earth does that translate to "not paying a fair
> share"?  What percentage _would_ be fair?
Humm..... "1% of the country pays 33% of the bill".  Not exactly sure
why the statement makes you go hyperbolic... guess I'm an idiot because
I don't see enough information in the statement to know whether it's
fair or not.  What % do you think is fair?  Are you suggesting the bill
should be split equally?  A related rhetorical question... who benefits
most from the public infrastructure and social order made possible and
enforced by the U.S.?  Is it reasonable to expect those who benefit most
to burden most of the cost of maintaining the infrastructure and social
order?

Bill