[FoRK] Rpad? Web-based math collab?

Lisa Dusseault <ldusseault at commerce.net> on Sun Apr 27 07:59:10 PDT 2008

I think I'm coming at some of what you're envisioning from a starting
point that might not seem related, but anyway:  I'm building a Web
site for aggregating health statistics so that they can be much more
accessible: findable, browsable (no Web forms to puzzle out or
databases to understand) and visualizable.  You have no idea how much
of an improvement can be made with a couple months of programming, in
being able to find out "how many women in my state get Lyme disease"
or "how long do American 60-year-olds go between blood pressure tests"
and browse related information.  Also the amount of public "dark data"
here was shocking to me.

In the longer term, the visualizations will be more and more under the
contributor and end-user control, and it would be good to allow user-
contributed visualizations, analysis routines, and branch out to other
kinds of data and utilities for scientists.

I agree Google should be doing this but I f*ced up my chance to demo
this to Chris DiBona: the demo server chose that day to stop running
reliably.  So I'm still doing it as a personal semi-official CN
fellowship project but it's open source too.

Happy to talk about it, give me a call.

Lisa