[FoRK] Kindle in da house

zuzu <sean.zuzu at gmail.com> on Thu May 1 15:49:08 PDT 2008

>  Was initially lukewarm on this, thought the design was a bit odd, finally
> broke down and bought one.  Review forthcoming this weekend.  Anybody else
> on list blazed this trail first?

I'm waiting until Linux is decidedly opened by hacker communities the
way it has been for other embedded platforms such as wireless routers
that run OpenWRT or DD-WRT or Network Attached Storage (NAS) boxes
such as the Buffalo LinkStation Pro / TeraStation Pro or the Infrant /
Netgear ReadyNAS.

I don't care about the Kindle *service* from Amazon at all, in
precisely the same way that I do not care about the iTunes store yet
have gotten great mileage out of iPod ownership.

I use the iPod to play MP3s.  I would use a Kindle to display etexts
and PDFs on its e-Ink display with lower power consumption and
long-lasting battery.  I've also thought about keeping a synced
archive of Wikipedia on a Kindle, as has been done for the iPod.

But there's no way I would ever purchase DRM'd books -- or any digital
books that weren't plain PDFs.  (and I've put my money where my mouth
is, such as buying the PDFs of books published by the Pragmatic
Programmers.)

Yet the Kindle seems to be rather popular, and since it does run Linux
I have confidence that it will be opened soon and eventually with
great non-technical ease as with the applications now used to
unlock/jailbreak iPhones.  By then the hardware should be relatively
ubiquitous and inexpensive, and then I'll buy one on eBay.

so, to answer your question, no, I'm not blazing a trail with this one. ^_^