[FoRK] Something we should know, sdw?

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Fri May 2 15:47:31 PDT 2008

A) Damn.  Now I need another nym.
B) Now I'll never get anything done at NASA.
C) He owes me for the use of my name!
D) If I'm not going to be nefarious, what's the use of a name that is so
common that even many people with the same middle initial are in every major
city?
E) I want to write a few books.  The supra-commonality of my name is yet
another reason to use a pseudo-nym.  I still haven't puzzled out the process
and all of the legalities of it.  Certainly it is a time-honored right to
publish via a nym, however while registering a couple "fictitious names" for
my corporation while in Virginia, I inquired about how to do it as an
individual and their response was that you couldn't.  Based on certain
precedents, I don't believe you have to register it anywhere for a person,
although actual contracts, within which you could have non-disclosure
requirements, would have to be via your real name.  I suppose this is how
"movie stars" manage it.  Of course, they have a unique registry that I don't
believe exists anywhere else, especially not for writers.
F) Choosing a pseudonym is totally an analysis paralysis trap.  To many
options, too many chances to have n-condary meanings.
G) I recently picked up stephendwilliams.com, yet to be active.
H) Just call me "sdw", although my father, my 3 brothers, and my sister, and
even my nephew, all have the same initials.
I) I bet there are a dozen Rohit Khare's in every city in India.
J) "In China, even if you are 1 in a million, there are a thousand more just
like you." - Lilly Tomlin (from her partner) I thought, however [1] says A.
Whitney Brown
K) Shouldn't we all have alternate phone numbers, credit card numbers, SSNs,
passwords, etc. that explicitly trigger "trace this fraud" when used?  I've
had a number of those cases.

http://photodude.com/quotelog/witticisms.shtml
http://www.ifood.tv/blog/if_youre_one_in_a_million_youre_not_as_special_as_you_think_you_are

sdw